Sometimes, smaller incremental changes can go unnoticed alongside major product releases but without them, a product would probably be completely different.
It’s the same with Marvel - we're always making those small changes that lead to a better product. Our Customer Experience team is constantly listening and sharing your feedback with the rest of the Marvel staff so we can understand how you work and know what’s irritating you in order to prioritise new features and fixes. Here are the 4 areas we improved this July:
1. The Line Tool
You can now draw lines in addition to shapes thanks to the new line tool. Here’s how it works:
- Click the line button () on the sidebar or hit "L" on your keyboard.
- Then use your cursor to click and drag a line! It's fun. You can make all sorts of useful shapes with it:
- You can also hold shift to easily scale the line horizontally, vertically or at 45° whilst drawing it.
2. The Colour Picker
With the new colour picker, you can now grab any colour from your artboard to use wherever you like:
Handily, it provides a zoomed-in preview of the area that your cursor is hovering over so you can pick the exact right pixel. No more copy-and-pasting hex codes! Here's how to use it:
- Select an shape or element from your design, then click one of the colour options (such as fill colour, or border)
- When choosing a colour, click the colour picker icon () to bring up the preview area.
- Hover over areas of your design to preview colours, and click the pixel you like to set the colour of the active element.
- Then, use the slider to vary the colour even more, and save it to the swatch list:
3. Sketch Plugin Improvements
Here's a couple updates we've made to the Sketch plugin:
- Sending artboards from Sketch to Marvel is now 6 times faster.
- You can now skip uploading certain artboards from Sketch by naming them beginning with an underscore.
4. Design Tool Updates
A fresh cut of the design tool is also live now. Check out the 3 subtle, but important changes we've made:
- Auto Line Spacing: The default option for spacing is now 'auto', so you can fix any line spacing issues simply by clearing the value in the spacing input field:
- Aspect Ratio Locking: Design Tool now supports aspect ratio locking. Just click the little lock icon between the Width and Height fields, and resize your element like you normally would:
- Fill Image: You can now fill any image with a colour. Whatever colour you choose will act as an overlay to non-transparent pixels of the image, with the transparency you've chosen respected:
That's all for this update, get in touch if you have any questions. Also, if you're on our company or enterprise plan, contact your dedicated account manager for more details.
We'll be releasing product updates like this every month from now, sobelow if you'd like to be notified. In the meantime, give our new features a try - we're excited to see what you make with Marvel!